Hey Y’all! It’s your Health Coach Janelle here and since is National Blueberry and Avocado Month, I just wanted to share a few of my favorite blueberry and avocado recipes with you.
Firstly, I know many of you are aware that blueberries and avocados are healthy food items, but do you know why they are labeled as healthy or what they provide the body?
Three Benefits Blueberries Provide You:
- Blueberries are the King of Antioxidants. They have one of the highest antioxidant levels in fruits and vegetables. Antioxidants protect your body from free radicals. Free radicals are harmful molecules that damage your cells and may contribute to aging and diseases.
- Blueberries may lower blood pressure. The phytochemicals in blueberries improve the function of endothelial cells in the body. The endothelial cells line the inner surface of the blood vessels and it helps with blood flow and pressure regulation. According to a researcher from Harvard University, blueberries may not only help control high blood pressure, but may also prevent people from developing hypertension.
- Blueberries can help improve memory and maintain brain functionality. In a study in 2016 published in European Journal of Nutrition, consuming a blueberry drink improved the cognitive performance level compared to a placebo in 21 children. In another study, the results showed that older adults’ memory improved after drinking blueberry juice every day for 12 weeks.
Blueberry and Red Bell Pepper Salsa
3 cups fresh blueberries
1 bunch fresh cilantro chopped
½ red onion, minced
2 red bell peppers, diced small
½ teaspoon salt
1 lemon juiced
How to Prepare:
- Pour the blueberries out on a large cutting board and give them a rough chop. Put them in a large bowl.
- Add in the chopped cilantro, red onion, red bell pepper, salt, and lemon juice. Sire until combined.
Three Benefits Avocados Provide You
- Avocados enhance digestive system. Avocados are one of the best fruit sources of fiber. High fiber foods are important for people with digestive issues because the fiber helps shift the balance of bacteria in the gut, increasing good bacteria and decreasing bad bacteria.
- Avocados promote weight loss. Eating foods lower in carbohydrates and higher in healthy fasts are known to accelerate weight loss. Avocados satiates hormones and hunger cues, which will directly have an effect on the amount of food you eat.
- Avocados are also high in antioxidants, like blueberries. They contain lutein that protects the eyes and preserves healthy skin and hair. By adding avocado to a meal, it can help boost the antioxidant absorption.
Avocado Chicken Salad
2 cups shredded skinless chicken breast
1 medium avocado skinned and mashed
½ red onion diced
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons lime juice
1 teaspoon chopped cilantro
1 container plain nonfat Greek Yogurt
How to Prepare:
- Add all ingredients ina bowl and mix well.
- Cover and let sit in refrigerator for at least 20-30 mins
If you Tried These recipes and enjoyed it, take a picture and tag us in it using #NHWCTriedThis. We would love to see it!